Saturday, July 22, 2006

Vergüenza

Never be ashamed of the gifts the Lord has given you. This blog has usually been of my journey through pregnancy, but lately I have been compelled to share things the Lord has been bringing to my attention.
Sometimes I often wonder what my role is at work and if I am really making a difference. Last night for the last 4 hours of my shift I was transferred to the MICU (Medical Intensive Care Unit), I was grumbling about the transfer because I really do not enjoy working there, I feel like a bump on a log until they need my help to turn a patient or something. As I was sitting at the front desk (the reception asked me to answer the phone and stuff while she ate....ummmm sure, I think I know how to answer the phone. Not sure if I know how to answer their questions on the other end...what is this??? This is not my job!) Anyway, I sat there reading and then I heard a nurse frantically come out of a room asking if anyone spoke Spanish. Sure you all are saying well that's easy, yes. Ashamed of myself I have sat in silence and not said a word as I watched the nurse and patient struggle to communicate. Why? You ask. Something you may not understand because I do not fully understand myself. Pride is evil, pride prevents and pride takes away blessings. But, sometimes people make fun of other cultures, sometimes people look down on others who do not speak English and sometimes comments are made right in front of me. It hits straight to the heart. People who can not speak Spanish may never know the heart of my husband and that he is opposite the stereotypes people have of Mexicans or Spanish speaking people in general, but there are just times I don't feel like it's worth explaining to others.
I so much wanted to keep my mouth shut and not answer, Yes. But something inside of me...said "Meghan this is ridiculous, this is a gift I have given you and I want you to use it, not only when you choose to use it, but when I choose for you to use it as well."
As I walked into the patients room..the nurse was wondering how much Spanish I knew (which I give props to her questioning...she thought if it was high school level she has that covered. I informed her that my husband and I speak only Spanish and then there was like a ton of bricks lifted from her shoulders.) I turned and looked at the patient and in my head I thought, "Now is your chance, the chance you missed a few months ago." See he was one of the patients I had before, but did not translate for, I just watched as the nurse tried to explain everything.
I looked at his frail little body filled with cancer (When he came to the MICU they thought he would not make it...he is only 19). As I talked to him and let him know what we were going to do (bathe him, give him his meds and get him ready for bed) the nurse repeatedly thanked me and said she has no idea what she would have done or how she would have told him any of that. He was confused, he was weak and he just needed someone to explain. By the end of the night we had had a few laughs and as he got ready to sleep he happily said, "hasta mañana" which means see you tomorrow. I told him I would not be in to work the next day, but I am sure I will see him around.
Let me remind you all that this was something so simple, a gift the Lord has given me, it took no effort on my part and the blessings I received from helping both the patient in the nurse were beyond what I expected. You all may think that when I do not fess up to knowing Spanish and helping people out, that it seems a little twisted and even rude. It is. More so I feel as though I offend my father in heaven who has given me this special gift. We so often ignore our gifts and "sit" on them, missing out on so many blessings that He has in store for us.
Please pray for Francisco and I as we are wondering what our next step is in all this. By working at the hospital, there are so many Spanish speaking people I come in contact with that don't have anyone, no family at their bedside. We want to be that family for them and share Jesus with them. Please pray with us as we explore this opportunity to share Christ.

2 comments:

emily said...

I love your heart Meghan! That was a great story! It definitely encouraged me! What does the title of your blog mean? Just curious! LOVE YOU!

Meghan said...

Wow! Wilms? So fun to hear from you here:)

Em- Verguenza means shame or embarrassment in Spanish...sorry about that:) I had a good time with you all yesterday:) Love ya!