Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Carpal tunnel syndrome and 10 pounds heavier.

I am 28 weeks which means I am officially starting my 7th month. I had my start of my third trimester appointment yesterday. Good news: I passed my glucose test! Last week, I had to drink a bunch of sugar, which tasted like crush (and I know the rest of you pregnant ladies will think I am strange, but I kind of liked it). Then I got poked for the sugar and poked again to check iron levels and then poked again to receive my Rhogam shot (in the hip!). Yesterday, I was informed that I have gained another 10 pounds and I was told I need to take it easy on the weight gain. What??? I seriously don't know what is going on. I eat when I'm hungry (which is every 2 hours), but I can't help it. Well, thankfully I am only 12 weeks out...so maybe I will ease up a little in the final stretch. I was also sharing the fact that my right hand goes numb quite a bit. Guess what I have? Pregnacy induced carpal tunnel. What is that you ask? I have included info on it below if you care to know. Oh yeah, also please pray for me as I am taking on a full load at work and trying to study for the nursing boards before the baby is born. This should be interesting!

Is it normal to have pain and numbness in my hands during pregnancy?
Yes. Pain and numbness in your hands and fingers during pregnancy are quite common and most likely caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. Although you probably associate this condition with workers whose jobs require repetitive hand movements (such as data processors, computer programmers, assembly line workers), about one in four pregnant women develops carpal tunnel symptoms, usually in both hands. Symptoms can appear at any time, but most often begin in the second half of pregnancy as you begin to retain more fluid. The symptoms usually go away gradually after you give birth as the swelling from pregnancy subsides.

What causes carpal tunnel syndrome during pregnancy?
The carpal tunnel is a bony canal formed by the wrist bones on three sides and a ligament that runs across the wrist on the other. The swelling and fluid retention that's so common during pregnancy can increase the pressure in this relatively narrow and inflexible space, compressing the median nerve that runs through it.The median nerve gives sensation to the thumb and the index, middle, and half of the ring finger and is responsible for movement of a muscle at the base of the thumb. Pressure on this nerve is what causes the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, including numbness, tingling, burning, pain, or a dull ache in the fingers, hand, wrist, and even up the arm to the shoulder in some cases. In severe chronic cases, your hand may feel clumsy or weak.

What can I do to relieve the pain?
If you're like many pregnant women, you'll have symptoms most often at night or when you first wake up in the morning. Whenever you feel the twinges, shift your sleep position and try to prop your arm up with a pillow or two. If you have a lot of discomfort, try stabilizing your wrist in a neutral position (not bent) with a splint. (This position allows the carpal tunnel to be slightly wider.) In any case, avoid sleeping on your hands. If you wake up with pain, try shaking your hands until the pain or numbness goes away.When working at a computer, adjust the height of your chair so your wrists aren't flexed (bent downward) as you type. If possible, avoid jobs requiring forceful, repetitive hand movements — although they may not have caused your carpal tunnel, they can make your symptoms worse. If your job requires this kind of movement and you must continue it, consider wearing wrist or hand braces while you work. If you work at a computer, using a special ergonomic keyboard can help in some cases. Remember to take breaks to stretch your hands. Practicing yoga can also help relieve the pain and increase hand strength. You may also have heard that taking extra vitamin B6 can help, but two small clinical trials have shown no immediate benefit from this.

1 comment:

emily said...

Meggy, you are beautiful! I'm praying for your strength. You are strong sister! Prov 31 baby! That's you!