Monday, January 29, 2007

A heavy heart

This morning my heart his heavy. I am thinking a lot about life and death. I am thinking a lot about my grandma.
This past year has been a storm of emotions. Right after Christmas my grandma fell down her stairs...tumbling backwards only to hit her head on the cement floor. Now, something you all have to understand...my grandma is not your typical grandma. I have never seen her has a frail old lady. As a matter of fact, she has always been strong, serving everyone and able to hold her own. Never been afraid to speak what's on her mind and very much up to beat with what's going on with younger generations. So after the fall my grandma got up only to shake it off. She wouldn't let anyone take her to the hospital until my aunt and mom demanded she go. As the doctor entered they were unsure of what the news would be. But the piercing words came, "you have cancer." My grandma was diagnosed with end stage ovarian cancer. Very shortly after they went in for a major surgery, clearing out as much cancer as they could. We all stood by for weeks after the surgery wondering if she would survive. It's hard for a woman that age to bounce back after a major surgery. Of course, she fought hard, went through chemo during the spring and summer. In this past year, she overcame cancer, had 4 new great grandchildren (Owen, Lola, Caedmon, and Guillermo), went out west to be with my grandpa while he worked, went from laying on a hospital bed weak, to using a walker and oxygen at home, to completely being independent, to cooking meals, doing dishes, washing clothes and best of all(to me) having the strength to rock her feisty grandson at Christmas. She has overcome a lot and has done more than I have at a young age in this past year. There is something to be said for her strong spirit. We celebrated a beautiful Christmas, singing songs of thanksgiving to the Lord and thanking him that grandma was still here with us. She said it beautifully, that the Lord gave her another chance to grow closer to her and she is no longer afraid of dying. I had prayed that my grandma would be here to meet our little baby and I thank the Lord for giving me that blessing.
My grandma recently went in for a check-up and they found more cancer in her liver and another area(which I can't remember right now). So today was the day for surgery...after a long day of cleaning out her system, dry heaving and no sleep last night she went in for surgery. I called her at the hospital before the surgery and I heard a very tired, weary voice on the other end...but it was so calming to hear her and tell her I love her and that I will be praying for her. Afterwards I laid in bed with Guillermo praying and crying and thanking the Lord for life here and eternity. My mom called to give an update...grandmas 3 hour surgery only took 1.5 hours. They looked inside and saw way too much cancer and decided they could do nothing for her. The doctor gave her 6 months and recommended no chemo, but the chemo doctor recommended she have chemo beings she responded so well last time. They really did not expect her to survive the surgery and after and the doctors are pretty amazed (I guess I would be too if I did not know my grandma and the power of the Lord).
So I ask that you all pray for her (peace of mind and heart), and healing of course, but also pray for the lost souls that do not know Jesus. That they would realize the reality of death and the urgency to turn their life over to Christ.
Thanks so much. My grandma and I have shared so much together. A relationship that i have been so privileged to have.

picking out my dress

sleep overs...my grandma was famous at my college dorm freshmen year...they all wanted to meet this grandma that came for sleep overs at a college dorm with her granddaughter:)

my wedding shower

random get togethers

our wedding...aren't they precious?

a visit for my b-day

moving me out of a huge old house...she scrubbed down my kitchen, I should not fail to mention she has helped me move into and out of about every dorm and apartment I have lived in since coming to college.

my engagement

my graduation from nursing college

the birth of Guillermo

4 generations

so glad Guillo has been in her arms:)

A proud mom with her children


sweet moments





No comments: