Saturday, November 18, 2006

Colicky?

Colicky? What? So I took Guillermo to the doctor today because he has been stuffed up and fussy. The doctor asked me a few questions, "Is he fussy during feedings?" Yup. "Does he have a lot of gas?" Sure does. "Is he a grunter?" "You mean all those cute little horse noises he makes are grunts?" Yup. "Is he smiling one minute and then angry the next?" Well, sure, but so am I:) She checked his ears, listened to his lungs, felt his hard belly, full of air that he can't quite push out and diagnosed him has a colicky baby. I would like to just believe he is stuffed up and unhappy for the time being. But according to this doctor his belly hurts him quite often and he will be colicky until about the age of 3 months. I was instructed not to have any dairy products because cows milk passes through breast milk and is maybe making his tummy upset and she gave us some gas medicine to try. We'll do our best and see what happens.
*Also some interesting facts that the doctor was sharing with me is that when his belly hurts he will feed because that is what he thinks makes his belly feel better, but then he just feels extra full. *Also if your baby spits up a lot, she said that is gastric reflux and if they spit up and are in pain (cranky) that is gastric reflux with heart burn. I just thought those two facts were worth sharing.

7 comments:

emily said...

Where do you go to the Doctor? Who is your doctor?

Meghan said...

Oh yeah I forgot you probably know them:) Our doc is Skopec but this day we saw Gardner(?). I really like them both. Gardner...I think that is her name was the doc who was there right from the start when Guillermo had is collapsed lung, then Skopec was the one who took his case for the rest of the time he was there, so we just stuck with her. I really like Skopec..she's a keeper.
Byt he way I got your message...I will call you tonight!
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

megs seriously i don't think he has colic- if your baby is colic i think the definition is crying that you can't console him- dude over at andrea's he was a champ! i'd say it's the cold thing too! :)

emily said...

I agree with Jamie...Colicky babies, cry nonstop and you can't make them happy no matter what you try to do. Skopec is cool. She is probably my favorite out of all of them in the IC clinic. Gardner too. You should tell them that you know me! Looking forward to talking with you!

Meghan said...

Thanks guys. I agree Jamie- he is just cranky when he is hungry and when he can't fall asleep...plus I would be hard to console too if I had gas built up. But who knows.

Shadley said...

i agree with the other gals, if he had colick you would be running to the dr asking what was wrong. kids get cranky when they are sick and that's probably all it is, gas hurts too but he'll figure out how to get it out. try those gas drops, they work.

Anonymous said...

gas drops work awesome- thanks for shadley getting them for us for a shower gift! :)
josiah had the hardest time (taking naps etc) when he had a cold.. he was cranky.. and he is seriously the most laid back baby ever. we just went to iguana's and he didn't make one peep- his sister did! :)