Thursday, August 23, 2007

Career day care folks

So, I saw an add that a family recently moving from Florida needs someone to watch their two girls from 9-1pm. I thought it would be nice to have some extra cash while I stay home with Guillermo until I actually start working as a nurse. So anyway, I emailed the family to ask them if they were set on having a University student and this is the response I got....

Thank you for responding. No, I'm not set on a university student- I mentioned being a student because we really want to find educated people... not career day care folks... to help out. You are a nurse and would be great for us, I'm sure.

Now, I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I was actually offended. I think they were bashing career day care folks and also people who don't go to college. I think I took it personally because I always tell Francisco if I would have met him sooner, I wouldn't have gone to college and racked up school loans...I would have been a stay-at-home mom. My deep passion is kids and caring for them. I just felt like they were degrading. What defines up anyway? Education? What makes us smart? I believe the Lord's plan was for me to go to college and I feel blessed by that, but I don't believe that that is what defines me and makes me who I am. I guess all I am saying is there are a lot of people that can go to a University and graduated uneducated and then there are a lot of people who don't go to college and they are some of the most educated people. I just felt like they were very closed minded. Sorry if this sounds harsh...I was just offended.
That's it:)

4 comments:

Shadley said...

meg-
thanks for your words of support for us daycare folks! :)

my sister and i are both bachelor degree holders and have worked in daycare for many years and i know lots of women who have done that! it is a high calling to hold the lives of little ones in your hands!

Meghan said...

Thanks Shadley...I totally agree. I just feel like these people are missing that.

Anonymous said...

Hey girls! :)

I understand your frustration and I agree. I find the same prejudices myself when I talk with people...and I work. :) (Of course, I don't have children, I'm not sure how that will work when we are in that situation) But people used to say to my mom, "oh, so you don't work" because she was a stay at home mom. My mom was the hardest worker of anyone I know! Farmwife and mother all day, every day. She was actively involved in my life and sharing Christ with me and impacting my life eternally. I had an amazing childhood, amazing- my mom was there for everything. Everything. I have wonderful memories. I LOVED it. So much so, that when I had spiritual questions, and wanted to be saved, I went to her. I am a believer today because of my parents' influence in my life, and my life went the direction it did largely because of them as well. (obviously I made choices along the way & other things affected it but they impacted it more than anything else). I agree with Shadley, it is definitely a high calling, and one, that in my opinion, to do it right, takes quite a bit of intelligence and God-given wisdom and strength. I used to be amazed by some of the stay at home moms I knew in Iowa City, women with masters degrees, and some with no degree, but the wisdom they used and implemented with their children day in and day out, has an eternal impact in their lives. They used everything throughout the day as an opportunity to mold their children into little ones who would hopefully one day love Jesus. It is a great challenge to be investing in their lives in that way!! And definitely one that doesn't get much recognition, which makes it even more difficult. There are different situations and different callings in life for everyone...but I commend you girls for doing what you feel called to do & passionate about!

Sorry, that got a little long!! heehee!!
Love you!
M. :)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.