Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Flautas

Okay I am excited and I just have to share this with someone, so who better than my blogger buddies?!
Anyway, the Bible says the Lord gives us the desires of our heart and while this may seem cheesy to some people, I really believe the Lord has given me the desire to cook Mexican food...the way my husband likes it. He says it's not a big deal, but I think it is. I am a horrible cook when it comes to Mexican food. I'm not talking restaurant style....I am talking homemade tortillas, tamales, flautas, gorditas, and the Mexican rice. Especially now that Guillo is born I want him to experience that side of the Mexican culture because the food is great!

Anyway, my point here is that I have been getting real frustrated lately because when I try something new it just doesn't cut it. So today for lunch (Francisco is coming home from work to eat lunch) I decided to take on the challenge of flautas and Mexican rice. Last night one of my students said making flautas was easy so she explained it to me and I looked a recipe up and I did it! They actually look like the real deal. Not to mention the rice also looks great:)
The real test will be what my husband thinks!

***A very important side note, Guillermo slept the whole time...making it even more fun for me to enjoy my flauta success!

And now, thanks to my friend Emily...I am now posting pictures of food on my blog:)



Don't those flautas look smashin'?

**FYI: flautas in Spanish means flutes...so my flutes may be a little fat, but who wants to eat a skinny flute anyway?

5 comments:

emily said...

Dude. Way to go!!! I'm glad that you are posting your cooking creations! FUN! I have been doing horribly on the cooking. I need to get back into it...maybe after Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Those look yummy!!!! I love flautas! I think you are wonderful for tackling the daunting task of cooking real mexican food...I think it would be tough to cook "authentically" as you say. :) Congrats, girl! When are you going to come visit us and cook for me?!? :) hehe

Meghan said...

Miss! I would love to come cook for you. You buy all the ingredients that I have ever wanted and I will cook up a storm:)

Joanna Kay said...

Ohhhh I wish I had Mexican food here in Japan...
those pictures remind me of the time Lorraine cooked mexican food for our apartment. She was so frustrated with the rice and tortillas that she threw away about four batches of both. We finally kept her from the garbage can and told her we'd eat anything she made. She's hilarious. Tell her I love her next time you see her. P.S. your Baby is SO precious, Meghan. Can you believe you have that little guy? Wow! Have a VERY Merry Christmas!

Meghan said...

Hey Joanna! No, I can't believe I have this little guy. It's crazy. My favorite thing to do is to take a nap with him in our bed and I like to just stare at him sometimes...may sound a little creepy...but I just know he'll get older and I won't have these times anymore..just cherishing them:)