Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Marriage to a Mexican Part 1

So, being married to Francisco I have realized the many differences between the two cultures. Some make me laugh, some make me frustrated and some make me ponder the meaning.

Anyway, I was always brought up to fend for yourself as far as food. Now, we get together my mom cooks and we have big homemade meals. But, for the most part because of our busy schedules we would grab something to eat and run. My mom was not in the kitchen for all 3 meals cooking and making sure that my dad was fed and fed well. Waiting on him hand and foot.

Well, in the Mexican culture it is completely opposite. The woman is slave to the kitchen, but prepares meals with love for each member of her family...often she will eat the scraps because everyone has eatten the food and ran. She is then left to clean up all the mess with not a bit of help. I sometimes wonder how she finds the passion to keep on cooking.

In our marriage, we have had to find a happy medium. Why Francisco is not extreme on wanting me in the kitchen for every meal and waiting on him hand and food, he very much does appreciate being fed and fed well. I think that is one way he definitely feels loved and appreciated.

SO this brings me to my point. I am super willing to cook for Francisco and have meals ready for him, becuase I actually love to cook and see my man happy because of what he is eatting. BUT Francisco is a picky eater. Why he likes many foods from here in the States, he also dislikes many. And I absolutely hate throwing food away. So when I make him something I am taking the chance that he might not like it and then I have to eat it for a whole week straight:(

So sometimes I opt not to cook. Which then becomes an issue between us.

So the other day I attempted tamales (one of his favorite foods) for the 100th time in 3 years. I was feeling ambitious. This time they turned out!!!!!!! YES. I did it, I made them like they make them in Mexico. Let's just say the Lord shed a whole lot of grace on my cooking that night because I had the right heart about it. I have made them 3 times since and each time they taste just as good. I may sound like I am boasting....but let me tell you, after 3 years of failing I am excited to celebrate. I totally pleased my husband with some good tasting tamales! Mmmmm.

If you are unsure of what tamales are. Here is a picture below. You make the dough (tortilla) then you fill it with meat, cheese and salsa and wrap it in a corn husk and then you steam them.

1 comment:

Shadley said...

oh meghan- dan's gonna want me to get that recipe- he LOVED the tamales in Mexico!!