Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Culture shock

So Guillermo and I just got back from a trip of a lifetime! Last Friday (March 9th) we decided last minute to go to Mexico with a group from Parkview Church that was going for a mission trip to Casa Hogar, a children's home that we have gone to for 3 years now, building relationships and also building a home for these children who have been abused, abandoned, sold, etc. They have become like family to Francisco and I and so I thought what better time than now to go there and meet my in-laws.

So, my mission was a little different this time, but one that I will never forget. My in-laws live in San Luis Potosi, Mexico which is a bout 12 hours from the border. So they made the trip by bus and we also came by car (24 hours!) to meet them for the first time. Francisco and I will celebrate our 2 year anniversary in August and I have only communicated by telephone with my in-laws, so we both felt it was time to make the trip since the opportunity was presented.

I would do it all over again. Guillermo was superb. He survived the 24 hour car ride (which in the end was 48 hours!) He hardly cried which surprised me. Since he is only 5 months, he was the perfect age to travel with...he can only roll from his stomach to his back so it was nice I didn't have to worry about him wanting to get out and run around. He went with the flow, enjoyed the warm weather and overall was very content. I praise the Lord for the opportunity and time we had with them.


So my friends, I present to you....

My in-laws!

Guillermo chatting with his grandma Guadencia

Guillermo with his grandpa Jacobo

This picture is special to us because there was no way Francisco's parents could come to the wedding, so Francisco asked Wayne and Marla Ross to sit in as his parents. Francisco has always called them his "adopted parents" so it was so neat that they were able to meet something neither of us dreamt of. Francisco's parents repeatedly told Wayne and Marla that they entrust their son to them. I think it was reassuring that they were able to meet a couple that cares very much for Francisco.


I wanted to share this photo because I'm not sure why, but Guillermo started making this face while he was in Mexico. It cracked me up! He hasn't done it since we have returned. Not sure what that was all about.


We stayed in the little girls dormitory and they absolutely loved him! They would wake up and the first thing they would say is, baby. Where's the baby? There is only one little girl missing in this picture other than that from left to right they are: Monsaret, Priscilla, and Reyna. Priscilla and Reyna are sisters along with Lupita (who is not pictured) they have 2 brothers who also live there which totals to 5. Priscilla told me that her mom just didn't want them. They are beautiful both inside and out. It was an honor to spend time with them.


This is Pastor Osdy and his wife Teresa with Guillermo. They are the heart behind the children's home. They are special to us. They came to Iowa to marry us and have been a huge part of our life for the last 3 years. My dream is to someday work side by side with them. It would be a great privilege as their work for the Lord is sacrificial and not in vane. I hope to someday have half the heart they do for not only saving and rescuing children from them streets, but making sure they know Jesus and strive to have an education and a life of opportunity. I love them.

**The reason for my title culture shock is because it truly was a culture shock meeting my in-laws. I am not sure I have experienced culture shock before, but their lifestyle is just completely different from ours. They didn't know how to turn on the shower....they don't have one. They don't even have a toilet. I now only see a little glimpse of what Francisco talks about when he says I don't understand what it's like to be poor. He's right.

5 comments:

Julian said...

I'm so excited that you all got to visit Francisco's family- that trip was super special! I loved the pics- they really warmed my heart :D I REALLY want to try to get to Iowa this summer- before I leave the midwest/northeast! (I can never remember where exactly I am...)

Meghan said...

Hey K- Yes...it was a super special trip. You NEED to come visit! Just let me know exactly when so I can make sure we are free. If it's in June we will be gone teh 18th until the 22nd on a retreat. So anytime before or after that would work well. Let me know.

jamie said...

meg- love it- i wanna hear more

emily said...

I absolutely LOVE the pic of Guillo with his grandpa and he's making that face. PRICELESS!!! SO funny! That will be a great one for when he's older!
ps...I'm not mad at you! I will give you a call this weekend! Wait til you hear what I'm doing tonight! i'll leave you in suspense...it will be on the blog.

Meghan said...

I know you aren't mad!
What are you doing????
Watching 24? Going on a date? Going possum hunting? What in the world are you doing?